The Netherlands is a wonderful place to visit as a tourist! There is so much to see and do, from exploring charming cities and picturesque villages to experiencing the country’s rich cultural heritage and stunning natural scenery. One of the most popular destinations in the Netherlands is Amsterdam, the capital city. Here, visitors can wander along the canals, visit world-class museums such as the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum, and sample delicious Dutch cuisine. Other cities that are well worth a visit include Rotterdam, known for its modern architecture and vibrant cultural scene, and The Hague, home to the Dutch government and numerous museums and galleries. Outside of the cities, the Netherlands is also known for its beautiful countryside. Visitors can explore traditional windmills, cycle along scenic bike paths, and visit charming villages such as Volendam and Marken. Overall, the Netherlands is a very welcoming and friendly country for tourists, with excellent public transportation and a high standard of living. English is widely spoken, so communication should not be a problem for most visitors. However, it’s always a good idea to learn a few basic Dutch phrases as a sign of respect and to enhance your experience.
Things to do
There are plenty of things to do when traveling to the Netherlands, whether you’re interested in exploring the country’s cultural heritage, enjoying its beautiful scenery, or simply relaxing and enjoying the local cuisine. Here are some ideas:
- Explore Amsterdam: The capital city is known for its charming canals, world-class museums, and lively nightlife. Take a boat tour of the canals, visit the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum, and explore the trendy neighborhoods of Jordaan and De Pijp.
- Visit other cities: Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht, and Maastricht are just a few of the other cities in the Netherlands that are well worth a visit. Each city has its own unique character and attractions.
- Experience Dutch culture: The Netherlands has a rich cultural heritage that is reflected in its art, architecture, and traditions. Visit historic sites such as the Anne Frank House and the Royal Palace in Amsterdam, and explore traditional Dutch villages like Volendam and Zaanse Schans.
- Enjoy the outdoors: The Netherlands is known for its beautiful countryside, with plenty of opportunities for hiking, cycling, and exploring nature. Visit the Hoge Veluwe National Park, the Wadden Sea, or one of the many nature reserves.
- Sample Dutch cuisine: The Netherlands has a delicious and varied cuisine, with dishes such as stroopwafels, bitterballen, and Dutch herring. Try local specialties at markets and restaurants, and enjoy a Dutch beer or two.
- Visit tulip fields: The Netherlands is famous for its tulips, and the fields of colorful flowers are a must-see in the spring. Visit the Keukenhof Gardens or explore the countryside around Lisse and Haarlem.
- Experience Dutch festivals: The Netherlands is known for its lively festivals, such as King’s Day, Carnival, and the Amsterdam Light Festival. Join in the celebrations and experience the Dutch love for partying.
These are just a few ideas of what to do when traveling to the Netherlands. The country has plenty to offer, so take your time and enjoy all that it has to offer.
Camping is a popular activity in the Netherlands, and the country has many excellent campsites to choose from. Whether you’re traveling with a tent, caravan, or camper van, you’re sure to find a site that meets your needs.
Here are some reasons why camping in the Netherlands is a great idea:
- Well-equipped campsites: The campsites in the Netherlands are generally very well equipped, with excellent facilities such as showers, toilets, washing machines, and restaurants. Many sites also offer activities for children and adults, such as swimming pools, playgrounds, and sports fields.
- Beautiful scenery: The Netherlands has a beautiful countryside, with plenty of green fields, forests, and lakes. Camping allows you to immerse yourself in this natural environment and enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Cycling: The Netherlands is famous for its cycling culture, and many campsites are located near scenic cycling routes. Rent a bike and explore the surrounding countryside at your own pace.
- Family-friendly: Camping is a great option for families with children, as it allows for plenty of outdoor activities and socializing with other families. Many campsites have playgrounds and organized activities for children.
- Affordable: Camping is generally a very affordable way to travel, and the campsites in the Netherlands are no exception. Prices are reasonable, and you can save money by cooking your own meals at your campsite.
Overall, camping in the Netherlands is a great way to experience the country’s natural beauty and friendly culture. With well-equipped campsites, beautiful scenery, and plenty of activities to choose from, it’s a great option for travelers of all ages.
Traveling with a motorhome
The Netherlands has many excellent pitches for parking a motorhome, ranging from basic parking areas to fully equipped campsites with all the amenities you could need. Here are some options to consider:
- Campsites: Many campsites in the Netherlands have designated pitches for motorhomes, with hookups for water and electricity, as well as facilities such as showers, toilets, and waste disposal. Some popular campsites for motorhomes include Camping de Duinhoeve in Noordwijk, Camping Zeeburg in Amsterdam, and Camping De Vossenburcht in IJhorst.
- Motorhome parks: There are also many motorhome parks in the Netherlands, which are specifically designed for parking motorhomes. These parks usually have basic facilities such as electricity and water hookups, as well as waste disposal. Some popular motorhome parks include Stadscamping Rotterdam and Camperpark Zeeland in Renesse.
- Aires de Service: Aires de Service are designated parking areas for motorhomes, which are often located in or near towns and villages. These parking areas usually have basic facilities such as waste disposal, but may not have hookups for water and electricity. Some popular Aires de Service in the Netherlands include the Parking P1 in Zandvoort and the Parking Spaarnwoude in Haarlem.
- Wild camping: Wild camping, or parking your motorhome in a secluded area without facilities, is generally not allowed in the Netherlands. However, some areas may allow overnight parking for motorhomes, such as the parking areas near the beach in Zandvoort.
It’s always a good idea to research and book your motorhome pitch in advance, especially during peak travel season. Make sure to check the facilities and amenities available at each location, and choose a pitch that meets your needs and preferences.